Monday, August 10, 2009

Hopeless for the Homeless??

So tonight my friend Lauren and I were approached by a family in the Target parking lot. They stopped us to ask for money because they were in need of food and a room for the night. The lady who asked was rude, forceful and her plea was passionless but her 4 year old daughter's presence was tugging at my heart. Lauren and I both reached for our wallets and then Lauren suggested we go get them food instead of just giving money. We came back with food from good ol'Chick-Fil-A but before we reached the family, yet another homeless lady came across our path. With a similar story about being in need of a place to stay, she asked for anything we could give. She seemed more sincere than the other woman but its funny how the stories are all the same. After giving her some money, we left and gave the food to the family. The woman took the food, drank her daughters kid's meal drink and gave us the impression that she was done with us and got what she wanted. I walked away feeling used and I hate that feeling. This where my heart starts to wrestle with some issues..
First of all, I want to give, I need to give, we are commanded to give. Most of us do have so much and we can afford to give but when you get asked by so many people, when do you draw the line? How do you know when someone really needs food or shelter and who am I to make that decision about their true life and their needs??

The story from the Bible always comes to my mind, about the good Samaritan. How can I read that story and then pass by someone who needs help? I want to give, I want to help, but most of all I want these people to know Jesus.
Check out this picture! Ha

He is the one who can help them, feed them, care for them and help them survive. Recently, when I have been stopped and asked for money, I try and talk to the person about my faith before I give them the money. This usually frustrates them and the moment I give them the money they say, "Oh thank you, God bless you" and they are gone so fast! Do they really mean that when they say "God bless you"? That is a powerful statement and I feel that it should be taken seriously but people have changed the meaning and now only use it as a symbol.. but that is an entire other blog.. :)
I came home and told my mom the story, told her how i felt used and upset and frustrated with the whole situation. She told me that I can't be responsible for giving to every single beggar around and I know that but how do I pass them? I have come across some that seem legit. They honestly do need help and are truly grateful. When I come across these people, they are the ones who make it worth it. I guess it is better for me to be give and hopefully out of some of them, one of them will truly be in need.
I am not giving to receive and to make me feel good, but to try and do what Jesus would do and gosh it is hard sometimes. I just wish that people would be more grateful, less obnoxious and willing to listen if they are willing to receive money.
Ultimately, all we can do is pray for them. Some really are in severe need and it breaks my heart to see this but I also know someone who can help more than I can and I know He is faithful to always be there..

Is 41:17. The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst. I, the LORD, will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them.

So I would love to hear from you all, whats your perspective, how you handle all the people who ask for money? Is it hopeless to help the homeless with money and food?? hmm..

p.s don't give to people with signs like this..


3 comments:

Brad Claypool said...

I agree completely with everything you said. It's so tough. One time I offered to help a guy at a gas station and when he found out I was going to buy him food he just left. It's so hard to know but I guess all we can do is pray that God would use our kindness to plant a seed in their hearts.

Ronald Kennedy said...

Yeah, it is hard when situations similar to that comes your way. I did what you did also before about buying food. A homeless man was by the drive-thru at Del Taco when he asked if he can have some change to buy food. I offered that I'll buy him a meal instead of giving him the change and he agreed. He was very gracious and couldn't stop thanking me after he received them and the feeling inside me was very joyous. A different story happened at a local Chevron gas station when a woman (not so homeless looking) asked for a change to ride the bus. The bus fare was $1.15. I only had a $5.00 bill and told her to wait a second while I go into a store and asked for a change. She says she needs it now because the bus will be there in about a minute or two. Felt sorry, I gave her the money, and as I was looking back when I walked away, the woman stepped into a passenger seat of a car and they drove away :(

Hillary Clarendon said...

Brad- you are right. Our kindness can plant a seed!

Ronald- I wish all homeless were as grateful as the man you met! That is an amazing story! Unfortunately, many people act like the lady who only took the money. Its so hard to know if they need it to "live" or if they need it to smoke and drink.. hmm